Dirk co-founded Minnetronix with Rich Nazarian and Jonathan Pierce in 1996 and remained a company leader and key contributor through March 2016. He began his career with Minnetronix as Director of Engineering and acted as Vice President of Technology Solutions up to his decision to undertake new business pursuits outside Minnetronix in 2016. Dirk Smith has more than 25 years of experience working in the medical device field in technical development, device design and business leadership roles. He is an inventor on seven patents and the author and presenter on topics including biological signal processing, wireless device design and medical systems and processes.
Throughout his career, Dirk worked on numerous medical devices and instruments including infusion pumps, blood flow meters, optical sensors, oxygen saturation and hematocrit monitors, and coagulation management systems. He also has significant experience with U.S. and international product safety and regulatory issues.
Dirk graduated from the University of Iowa with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and later earned a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Minnesota. He remains a consultant to Minnetronix on specific projects.
- Leveraging Medical Device Expertise to Develop Combination Therapies
- Drug Delivery Partnerships Conference: “Leveraging Med Device Expertise to Develop Combination Products”
- DeviceTalks West: Medical Device Technology in 2025
- DeviceTalks Boston: Medical Device Technology in 2025
- A Survey of Changing Regulatory Requirements for Electronic and Electromechanical Medical Devices
- DeviceTalks Minnesota: Medical Device Technology in 2025
- Beyond the Hype: Integrating Connectivity and Wireless into Medical Devices
- Minnetronix Engineering and Business Excellence Awards Highlight the Drive to Innovate
- Leveraging Med Device Expertise to Develop Combination Products
- Case Studies in Medical Device Innovation
- Leveraging Wireless Connectivity in Medical Device Development
- Getting Connected
- Successful Outsourcing from Start to Finish
- Harnessing Experience for Efficient Medical Device Development